Recently, my colleague published a blog build on your investment by Migrating or Upgrading to CDP Data Center, which articulates great CDP Private Cloud Base features. Existing CDH and HDP customers can immediately benefit from this new functionality. This blog focuses on the process to accelerate your CDP journey to CDP Private Cloud Base for both professional services engagements and self-service upgrades.
Upgrade with Confidence with Cloudera Professional Services
Cloudera recommends working with Cloudera Professional Services to simplify your journey to CDP Private Cloud Base and get faster time to value. Cloudera PS offers SmartUpgrade to help you efficiently upgrade or migrate to CDP Private Cloud Base with minimal disruptions to your SLAs.
Preparing for an Upgrade
Whether you choose to manage your own upgrade process or leverage our Professional Services organization, Cloudera provides the tools you need to get started.
Before you Begin
- Contact your account team to start the process.
- Generate a diagnostic bundle to send information about your cluster to Cloudera Support for analysis.
The diagnostic bundle consists of information about the health and performance of the cluster. Learn more about how to send diagnostic bundles.
1.On a CDH cluster, use Cloudera Manager.
2. On an HDP Cluster, use SmartSense.
- Gather information that diagnostic tool will not be able to automatically obtain:
- What is the primary purpose of the cluster?
- HDP customers only: Which relational database and version is used?
- How many database objects do you have?
- Which external APIs you are using?
- Which third party software do you use with this cluster?
Create an Upgrade Planning Case
To manage your own upgrade process, follow these steps to file an upgrade planning case to ensure a smooth upgrade experience:
- Go to the Cloudera Support Hub and click Create Case.
- Select Upgrade Planning.
- In Product to Upgrade, select a product from the list. Choices are:
- HDP & Ambari
- Cloudera Manager
- CDH & Cloudera Manager
- Are you upgrading to CDP Private Cloud Base? Select Yes or No.
- What is your target version? Select the version of the product and the version of the Cloudera Manager or Ambari.
- Complete information about your assets and timeline.
- Attach the diagnostic bundle you created. Diagnostics will run through your bundle data to identify potential issues that need to be addressed prior to an upgrade.
- Include in the information that you gathered earlier in the “Before you Begin”.
A case is created.
CDP Upgrade Advisor
The CDP Upgrade Advisor is a utility available on my.cloudera.com for Cloudera customers. This tool performs an evaluation of diagnostic data to determine the CDP readiness of your CDH or HDP cluster environment.
Running the upgrade advisor against the cluster in question is one of your first steps to adopting CDP, followed by an in-depth conversation with your Cloudera account team to review the specific results. This utility raises awareness of clusters that may present risks during an upgrade to CDP due to, for example, an unsupported of the operating system currently in use.
The upgrade advisor utility is focused on the environment and platform in use but doesn’t take into consideration use-cases, the actual cluster data, or workflows in use. Analysis of these critical areas occurs as part of your CDP Journey Workshop with your Cloudera account team and Professional Services.
To run the Upgrade Advisor:
- Click Upgrade Path to begin the evaluation based on your diagnostic data
- The first thing you’ll see is a list of your active assets (CDH, DataFlow, HDP, Key Trustee, and CDP assets). The upgrade advisor is available only for CDH and HDP environments.
- Click the respective CDP Upgrade Advisor link on the right-hand side of a CDH or HDP asset to obtain the evaluation results
The Upgrade Advisor determines a recommended upgrade path for the asset in question. You may see a recommendation to upgrade to CDP Data Center (Private Cloud Base), Public Cloud, or not to upgrade at this time due to the environmental failures identified.
Beneath the recommendations are details of the cluster asset being evaluated along with contact details for your Cloudera account team.
The Evaluation Details section includes the results of the validation checks being performed against your diagnostic data. This includes risks and recommendations such as a particular service or version of 3rd party software that will not be supported after an upgrade to CDP. Each category of the evaluation details also features icons that will take you to the relevant CDP documentation.
You can view a video (recommended) about the Upgrade Advisor:
Validate partner certifications
For partner ecosystem support for CDP, you can validate your partner application certifications with this blog: Certified technical partner solutions help customers success with Cloudera Data Platform. Please also work with your account team for partner technology applications that are not currently on the certified list.
Learn from Customer Success Stories
Take a deeper look at one customer’s journey to CDP in this blog. A financial services customer upgraded their environment from CDH to CDP with Cloudera Professional Services in order to modernize their architecture to ingest data in real-time using the new streaming features available in CDP and make the data available to their users faster than ever before.
Take the next steps on your journey to CDP now by visiting my.cloudera.com to assess your clusters in the Upgrade Advisor and sign up for a trial of CDP Private Cloud Base. To learn more about CDP, please check out the CDP Resources page.
great! keep it up