Wow, a ton of news for such a short month:
- 4,500 people converged for the first Strata + Hadoop World San Jose, ever (with a special appearance by Barack Obama, no less). Slides and session video are available.
- After years of development by a huge and diverse community, Apache HBase 1.0 was released. (Learn more about it at HBaseCon 2015.)
- Apache Hive 1.0.0 (formerly 0.14.1) was also released by its community.
- Cloudera announced formal support for Apache Kafka alongside CDH.
- Pivotal and Hortonworks announced the Open Data Platform initiative, which Cloudera and MapR have declined to join.
- Project Myriad, an integration of YARN and Mesos spearheaded by MapR and eBay, was proposed for the Apache Incubator.
- A Kite SDK 1.0 was released. The Kite API is now stable!
- A Hive-on-Spark beta was released by Cloudera. (Only HDFS, YARN, Apache ZooKeeper, and Apache Hive are supported thus far.)
- Cloudera also announced a strategic partnership with Cask, and integration of the latter’s CDAP offering with Cloudera Enterprise.
That’s all for this month, folks!
Justin Kestelyn is Cloudera’s developer outreach director.