Accumulo Comes to CDH

Apache Accumulo is now generally available on CDH 4.

Cloudera is pleased to announce the immediate availability of its first release of Accumulo packaged to run under CDH, our open source distribution of Apache Hadoop and related projects and the foundational infrastructure for Enterprise Data Hubs.

Accumulo

Accumulo is an open source project that provides the ability to store data in massive tables (billions of rows, millions of columns) for fast, random access. Accumulo was created and contributed to the Apache Software Foundation by the National Security Agency (NSA), and it has quickly gained adoption as a Hadoop-based key/value store for applications that require access to sensitive data sets. Cloudera provides enterprise support with the RTD Accumulo add-on subscription for Cloudera Enterprise.

This release provides Accumulo 1.4.3 tested for use under CDH 4.3.0. The release includes a significant number of backports and fixes to allow use with CDH 4’s highly available, production-ready packaging of HDFS. As a part of our commitment to the open source community, these changes have been submitted back upstream.

To get started now, you can follow these instructions to handle installation using the Cloudera Manager 5.0.0 open beta release with our new extensibility framework. The instructions will also walk you through downloading a single distribution file and installing Accumulo on the current Cloudera QuickStart VM.

Once you get going, we would love to hear your feedback:

For more information, please visit Cloudera’s Accumulo page.

Sean Busbey and Bill Havanki are Solutions Architects at Cloudera. Mike Drob is a Software Engineer at Cloudera and an Accumulo Committer.

Filed under:

8 Responses
  • Chris / December 21, 2013 / 8:34 PM

Is there a Cloudera single-node VM for VMwareE that is inclusive of Accumulo?

Is there a quick start tutorial?

Thanks and happy holidays, Chris

• Justin Kestelyn (@kestelyn) / December 23, 2013 / 10:13 AM

Chris,

The current QuickStart VM release does not include Accumulo out-of-the-box. However you may download and install the Accumulo parcel into the VM (see instructions on page 3 at http://www.cloudera.com/content/cloudera-content/cloudera-docs/Accumulo/latest/PDF/Apache-Accumulo-Installation-Guide.pdf)

• Chris / February 05, 2014 / 12:05 PM

I tried the installation with accumulo 1.4.3 and CDH4.3 as requested and the version of hadoop and accumulo are not compatible. I have expended 2 days to find this out. I am surprised as I have always found your products reliable. Please check and provide me with a viable solution. thanks very much, Chris

• Justin Kestelyn (@kestelyn) / February 06, 2014 / 10:21 AM

Hi Chris,

Sorry to hear you’re having problems. There’s probably a simple explanation (Accumulo 1.4.3 is tested for use with CDH 4.3). Did you follow the install instructions, or do something else?

• Chris / February 06, 2014 / 4:56 PM

I followed the instructions; I have posting on stack and Apache accumulo developers group. When I tried to run the helloworld example there were problems. These problems were identified as hadoop 2.0 – accumulo 1.4.3 compatibility issues. I really want to use the cloudera quick start. Here is a link to my error posting on stack: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/21563143/issues-with-accumulo-1-4-3-helloworld-example-on-cdh4-3- things happen … I would appreciate your advice! Chris.

• Justin Kestelyn (@kestelyn) / February 07, 2014 / 8:34 AM

Thanks for posting this issue to community.cloudera.com – we’ll follow up there!

• Chris / February 06, 2014 / 5:01 PM

If it helps, tell me how to package the VM and I’ll send it to you to assist if it is any help to cloudera

• Chris / February 07, 2014 / 5:29 AM

This is the method I used: ” This section describes how to install Accumulo by using Cloudera Manager. If you prefer to install Accumulo from a tarball, skip this section and see the “Installing Apache Accumulo from the Distribution
    Tarball” section on page 8.”