How to Contribute to Apache Hadoop Projects, in 24 Minutes
So, you want to report a bug, propose a new feature, or contribute code or doc to Apache Hadoop (or a related project), but you don’t know what to do and where to start? Don’t worry, you’re not alone.
Let us help: in this 24-minute screencast, Clouderan Jeff Bean (@jwfbean) offers a step-by-step tutorial that explains why and how to contribute. Apache JIRA ninjas need not view, but anyone else with slight (or less) familiarity with that curious beast will find this information very helpful.
Among other things, you’ll learn:
- What “contribution” means
- The benefits of contribution – with Cloudera serving as an example
- What JIRA is, and how to get started/work with Apache’s JIRA (demos included)
- How to collaborate with others in the community
- How to become a committer and committer etiquette
Really, it’s a great resource. Now, I’ll leave you with your screencast:
For additional resources about open-source contribution, see the “Contribute!” section on our “New to Hadoop” page.