CDH 5.7 includes a lot of changes (more than 1,500) to Hue, the Web UI that makes Apache Hadoop easier to use.
In this new release, the emphasis on performance and security carries over from 5.5. The overall improvement in the SQL user experience is also considerable.
In this post, we’ll cover some highlights.
New Hive Metastore Interface
This app is now on a single page, offering more speed and easier access to statistics and data previews. Read about more of the improvements below; or, watch a demo of all of them in action.
The front end has been rewritten to be slicker and more user-friendly. More information is displayed, and navigating across tabs is seamless as it no longer entails a page refresh.
Table-specific page before
Table-specific page after
Single-page app: The initial page loads very quickly and asynchronously fetches the list of tables, table statistics, data sample, and partition list. Subsequent navigation clicks will trigger only 1 or 2 calls to the server, instead of reloading all the page resources again. As an added bonus, the browser history now works on all the pages.
Caching: Because all pages containing tables and databases (as well as the autocomplete editor) now point to the same cache, the fetching of that data will only happen once. On the Apache Hive side, these calls have also been optimized to take seconds instead of minutes (HIVE-7575).
Don’t freeze my browser: On top of doing caching, Hue is now much smarter about displaying only elements visible on the screen. For example, if the user has a list of 5,000 tables, only tens of them will actually be rendered (the rendering is the costly part).
Read more here.
SQL Editor Improvements
The most used app in Hue got:
- A format queries button
- A delete history button
- Fixed columns and rows headers for a smoother scrolling
- Hive on Spark support
- A timeout now logs out inactive user after
- Add an optional custom security splash screen at login with
- TLS certificate chain support
- Password for the
key_filewas introduced with
- Customize your
xmlsec1binary by changing
- Customize your SAML username mapping. It also supports syncing groups on login.
- Password for the
Result in the Grid Widget can be plotted as in the SQL editor. This is ideal for clicking visualizing the rows returned by the search query.
Right-click on a file or directory to access disk-space consumed, quotas, and number of directories and files.
Apache Oozie Improvements
- External workflow graph: This feature lets you see the graph for workflows submitted from the file browser as well as the ones submitted from CLI.
- Dry-run Oozie job: The dry-run option tests running a workflow/coordinator/bundle job with given properties without the need to create the job.
- Timezone improvements: All the times on the dashboard are now defaulted to the browser timezone; submitting a coordinator/bundle no longer need UTC times.
- Emailing automatically on failure: Each kill node now embeds an optional email action. Edit a kill node to insert a custom message in case it gets called.
(Read more here).
The next CDH version (5.8) of Hue will be rebased on Hue 3.10. On top of hundreds of improvements it brings a revamp of the SQL editor and the home page!