- An early release of the new O’Reilly Media book, Hadoop Application Architectures, became available. This one is sure to become standard bookshelf material. (Look for signed copies at Strata + Hadoop World!)
- Continuuity introduced Tephra, an open source transaction engine for Apache HBase. According to Continuuity, Tephra “utilizes the key features of HBase to make transactional capabilities available without sacrificing overall performance.”
- eBay open sourced its Apache Pig framework, which goes by the charming name Oink. Its architects say that Oink provides a UI for submitting jobs, offers QoS, and abstracts the user from cluster configuration.
- New developer training for Apache Spark became available from Cloudera. For more background on the curriculum, read this.
- Spring XD 1.0 became generally available, and includes support for CDH 4 among other major platforms. Spring XD utilizes the Kite SDK Data module for storage of some serialized data.
- Apache Pig 0.13 was released. New features include pluggable execution engines, auto-local mode, fetch optimization, and support for blacklisting and whitelisting pig commands.
- Kite SDK 0.15 was released.
That’s all for this month, folks!
Justin Kestelyn is Cloudera’s developer outreach director.