More good news for the ecosystem!
- Cloudera Enterprise (comprising CDH 5.0.0 and Cloudera Manager 5.0.0) became GA! This is the most expansive (now including Apache Spark, Parquet, Cloudera Impala, and Cloudera Search) and integrated release yet, and arrives with 100 partner certifications out of the gate.
- The HBaseCon 2014 agenda (May 5, 2014, in San Francisco) was locked down. Among other things, it includes keynotes from Facebook, Google, and Salesforce.com engineers — including the first public talk since 2006 about Google’s Bigtable internal uses cases and roadmap.
- Strata + Hadoop World 2014 Call for Papers opened. The conference has moved to a much bigger venue to accommodate heavy growth in the past couple of years.
- Cloudera published a definitive study of MapReduce performance on SSDs. The results are likely to guide deployment decisions in this area for a good length of time.
- The Apache Mahout community announced a new effort to support Spark, with experimental bindings contributed to the Mahout trunk.
- The results of the “Future of Open Source 2014” survey were published (with largest number of responses ever). Conclusion? “Open source continues to eat the software world.”
That’s all for this month, folks!
Justin Kestelyn is Cloudera’s developer outreach director.