Strata Conference + Hadoop World 2013 is looming on the horizon and pacing to be the largest gathering of Big Data professionals on the globe. As co-hosts with O’Reilly, we have seen the conference thrive, grow, and are excited about the upcoming Oct. 28 – 30 event!
Below you will find a listing of all the ways you can engage with Cloudera throughout the conference (all speakers are Cloudera employees unless otherwise indicated):
- Cloudera co-founder and Chief Strategy Officer Mike Olson will explain how Apache Hadoop and Cloudera are transforming the way organizations think about their data.
- How to Build a Hadoop Data Application
Mon., Oct. 28, 9am – Grand Ballroom West
Tom White, Eric Sammer, Joey Echeverria
In this tutorial, you’ll use the Cloudera Development Kit (CDK) to build a Java web app that logs application events to Hadoop, and then run ad hoc and scheduled queries against the collected data.
- From Promise to a Platform: Next Steps in Bringing Workload Diversity to Hadoop
Tues., Oct. 29, 11:50am – Grand Ballroom East
In this session, Henry presents Cloudera’s vision and implementation for generalized resource management on Hadoop, suitable for all uses.
- Parquet: An Open Columnar Storage for Hadoop
Tues., Oct. 29, 1:45pm – Gramercy Suite
Julien Le Dem (Twitter), Nong Li
Parquet is a columnar file format for Hadoop that brings performance and storage benefits. Here, two of its architects discuss Parquet’s design and share performance numbers.
- What’s Next for Apache HBase: Multi-tenancy, Predictability, and Extensions.
Tues., Oct. 29, 2:35pm – Grand Ballroom East
This talk will describe themes emerging from recent features slated for the upcoming post-0.96 release. These include improvements for multi-tenant deployments; a focus on predictable latencies; and the proliferation of new extensions for features traditionally from databases.
- Securing the Apache Hadoop Ecosystem
Tues., Oct. 29, 4:15pm – Grand Ballroom East
Aaron Myers, Shreepadma Venugopalan
This session covers how various parts of the Hadoop ecosystem can interact in a secure way to address enterprise security requirements. It will focus on the advanced authorization features enabled by the Apache Sentry (incubating) project.
- Working with Geospatial Data Using Hadoop and HBase and How Monsanto Used It to Help Farmers Increase Their Yield
Tues., Oct. 29, 5:05pm – Sutton Center/Sutton South
Erich Hochmuth (Monsanto), Amandeep Khurana
Monsanto is building new technology driven products for its customers that will leverage big data. This talk describes how Monsanto is building these scalable applications with geospatial data, using Hadoop and HBase as the backend systems.
- Unifying Your Data Management Platform with Hadoop: Batch and Real-time Machine Data Ingest, Alerts, and Analytics
Weds., Oct. 30, 11:50am – Grand Ballroom East
Today Hadoop serves as a unified platform for near-real-time (NRT) and batch workflows. In this session, dive into the details of using SolrCloud and Cloudera Impala together to serve search queries, by integrating Flume to stream events into Solr, Impala and HBase.
- Practical Performance Analysis and Tuning for Cloudera Impala
Weds., Oct. 30, 2:35pm – Murray Hill Suite
Impala brings SQL to Hadoop, but it also brings SQL performance tuning to those using the platform. This session will cover Impala performance analysis topics to aid in answering the question, “Why is my query slow?”, as well as practical tips and techniques to get the best performance from Impala.
- Trickery and Tooling for Distributed System Diagnosis and Debugging
Weds., Oct. 30, 5pm – Murray Hill Suite
All is quiet on the log file front, but yet the system is down. What next? This talk covers the tricks of the trade for debugging distributed systems. Motivated by experience gained diagnosing Hadoop, we’ll dig into the JVM, Linux esoterica, and outlier visualization.
Meetups During the Week
- Evening meetups are planned for Impala, Cloudera Manager, Apache Hive, Apache Sqoop, Apache HBase, and Apache Flume, and Cloudera will help support the NYC Hadoop Users for its traditional pre-Hadoop World meeting. Stay tuned for more details about dates, times, and locations.
- Visit Booth 403 in the sponsor pavilion to learn more about how our Platform for Big Data empowers enterprises to Ask Bigger Questions of all their data!
- You can also see demos of Cloudera Manager and of Hue, the open source Web UI that makes Hadoop easier to use.
- Don’t forget your Cloudera Tshirt!
We look forward to seeing you at Strata Conference + Hadoop World 2013! Register with the code CLOUDERA and receive 20% off admission.