This is a guest re-post from Datameer’s Director of Marketing, Rich Taylor. The original post can be found on the Datameer blog.
Datameer uses D3.js to power our Business Infographic™ designer. I thought I would show how we visualized the Apache Hadoop ecosystem connections. First using only D3.js, and second using Datameer 2.0.
Many people asked about the image above that was on our booth at the Hadoop Summit. Here’s how the image was created:
- A .csv file was created from public press releases and partner pages with the connections of companies and some technologies in the Hadoop ecosystem.
- Our visualization engineer, Christophe, coded a graphic (specifically this one) in D3.js using this data set.
- Our graphic designer then took the image and did a few modifications (increased some font size and added Datameer’s Hadoop distribution partners).
Not including the data collection process, in short, it took three people a good amount of time (probably 4-6 hours) to create this graphic.
The above Business Infographic™ was created by me, Rich Taylor, a Director of Marketing, all by myself using Datameer 2.0, no coding or separate design tool required.
- Using the same .csv file, I uploaded the file into Datameer.
- I went to the Business Infographic™ designer, chose the circular network graphic and dragged over my data from my uploaded file.
- Next I made some edits to the graphic, uploaded a few partner logos and added some text.
- To take it a little further, I opened the data into a Datameer workbook, did some analytics (groupby, groupcount, join and filter) to find who has the most partners/connections and threw that into my infographic.
In short, it took one person (a business user) about 30 minutes to put this together. I even got carried away and tried out a few different layouts, which just took a few more minutes.
Sound easy enough? Try it out for yourself by downloading our free trial! No Hadoop cluster needed, you can get started today right on your laptop. http://www.datameer.com/technology/download.php
Oh and think you can make a better infographic with the same data? Show us! Here’s the Hadoop Ecosystem .csv file you can use to make your own visualization: Hadoop Ecosystem Datameer Spreadsheet