Apache MRUnit Is Now A Top Level Project
This posted was originally posted to the Apache Software Foundation MRUnit blog.
The Apache MRUnit team has graduated from the Apache Incubator to an Apache TLP (Top Level Project)! MRUnit is a Java library that helps developers unit test Apache Hadoop MapReduce jobs. Unit testing is a technique for improving project quality and reducing overall costs by writing a small amount of code that can automatically verify the software you write performs as intended. This is considered a best practice in software development since it helps identify defects early, before they're deployed to a production system.
In its monthly meeting in May of 2012, the board of Apache Software Foundation (ASF) resolved to grant a Top-Level Project status to Apache MRUnit, thus graduating it from the Incubator. This is a significant milestone in the life of MRUnit, which has come a long way since its inception as a Hadoop Contrib project in HADOOP-5518 contributed by Aaron Kimball.
- May 2012 MRUnit graduates from the Incubator to become a TLP
- May 2012 Version 0.9.0-incubating released.
- April 2012 Dave Beech added as a new committer.
- April 2012 Jarek Jarcec Cecho added as a new committer.
- April 2012 New website created using the CMS.
- March 2012 Version 0.8.1-incubating released.
- March 2012 Jim Donofrio added as a new committer.
- Feburary 2012 Version 0.8.0-incubating released.
- November 2011 Version 0.5.0-incubating released.
- October 2011 Brock Noland added as a new committer.
- March 2011 Project enters incubation.
- April 2009 Doug Cutting commits Aaron's patch to Hadoop
- March 2009 Aaron Kimball contributes MRunit to Hadoop as a contrib project
Below is the graduation resolution:
X. Establish the Apache MRUnit Project
WHEREAS, the Board of Directors deems it to be in the best
interests of the Foundation and consistent with the
Foundation's purpose to establish a Project Management
Committee charged with the creation and maintenance of
open-source software related to unit testing Apache Hadoop map
reduce jobs for distribution at no charge to the public.
NOW, THEREFORE, BE IT RESOLVED, that a Project Management
Committee (PMC), to be known as the "Apache MRUnit Project",
be and hereby is established pursuant to Bylaws of the
Foundation; and be it further
RESOLVED, that the Apache MRUnit Project be and hereby is
responsible for the creation and maintenance of software
related to unit testing Apache Hadoop map reduce jobs;
and be it further
RESOLVED, that the office of "Vice President, Apache MRUnit" be
and hereby is created, the person holding such office to
serve at the direction of the Board of Directors as the chair
of the Apache MRUnit Project, and to have primary responsibility
for management of the projects within the scope of
responsibility of the Apache MRUnit Project; and be it further
RESOLVED, that the persons listed immediately below be and
hereby are appointed to serve as the initial members of the
Apache MRUnit Project:
* Brock Noland - email@example.com
* Patrick Hunt - firstname.lastname@example.org
* Nigel Daley - email@example.com
* Eric Sammer - firstname.lastname@example.org
* Aaron Kimball - email@example.com
* Konstantin Boudnik - firstname.lastname@example.org
* Garrett Wu - email@example.com
* Jim Donofrio - firstname.lastname@example.org
* Jarek Jarcec Cecho - email@example.com
* Dave Beech - firstname.lastname@example.org
NOW, THEREFORE, BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED, that Brock Noland
be appointed to the office of Vice President, Apache MRUnit, to
serve in accordance with and subject to the direction of the
Board of Directors and the Bylaws of the Foundation until
death, resignation, retirement, removal or disqualification,
or until a successor is appointed; and be it further
RESOLVED, that the initial Apache MRUnit PMC be and hereby is
tasked with the creation of a set of bylaws intended to
encourage open development and increased participation in the
Apache MRUnit Project; and be it further
RESOLVED, that the Apache MRUnit Project be and hereby
is tasked with the migration and rationalization of the Apache
Incubator MRUnit podling; and be it further
RESOLVED, that all responsibilities pertaining to the Apache
Incubator MRUnit podling encumbered upon the Apache Incubator
Project are hereafter discharged.