CDH2: “Testing” Heading Towards “Stable”
In September 2009, we announced the first release of CDH2, our current testing repository. Packages in our testing repository are recommended for people who want more features and are willing to upgrade as bugs are worked out. Our testing packages pass unit and functional tests but will not have the same “soak time” as our stable packages. A testing release represents a work in progress that will eventually be promoted to stable. It’s a long road of feedback, bug fixes, QA and testing to move from testing to stable. As someone who tracks the maturity of a testing build throughout its life cycle, I’m pleased to say we’ve put a lot of polish into this release.
CDH2 has reached the point where we are preparing to promote it to stable. One might even call this a “release candidate”. Cloudera engineers have been hard at work getting patches into CDH2 to make it the best 0.20 release available. Here are some of the highlights:
- Hadoop 0.20.1 – 73 more patches of extra Hadoop’y goodness (that is 225 total patches over vanilla 0.20.1)
- Lots of libhdfs and fusefs love resulting in stability and usability improvements currently in use at scale
- HDFS fixes that improve the write pipeline
- Lots of general stability fixes for Hadoop
- Pig 0.5.0 release – Working out of the box with our Hadoop 0.18 and 0.20 builds
- Hive 0.4.1 release – Works with both of our Hadoop 0.18 and 0.20
- HBase 0.20.3 – We worked with the HBase team to bring the latest rpms to a yum repo near you
We are excited about our CDH2 release. Its running at scale at some really great companies. We are looking forward to promoting it to stable shortly and moving on to the next big thing, CDH3. I’ll let you know as soon as this happens. When CDH2 becomes stable, it also means that CDH3 is ready to start its journey through testing. Stay tuned for more details as to what CDH3 will encompass; I’ll just say that I’m pretty excited about it.
You can subscribe to our CDH mailing list (firstname.lastname@example.org) to get information about new releases as we push them out. Check out the new release, and remember to let us know what you think!